Airfields, roads, bridges, buildings, power plants, docks and water treatment plants on military bases around the world are continually being built, repaired and improved. Construction, Building and Extraction officers plan, design and direct the construction of military facilities. These officers literally shape the places where the Military operates.
- Study the need for roads, airfields, buildings and other facilities
- Direct surveys of construction areas
- Design construction projects
- Help select contractors to build facilities
- Check construction progress to see that it meets plans
- Plan and direct facility maintenance and modernization
- Plan temporary facilities for use in emergencies
- Keep master plans for military bases up-to-date
Useful school subjects include mathematics and science. Helpful attributes include:
- Interest in engineering principles and concepts
- Interest in working with mathematical formulas
No initial job training is provided to officers in this occupation. However, advanced courses are offered to support medical service and environmental control building programs.