Officers in the Medical and Clinical Technologists and Technicians field work as pharmacists to manage the purchasing, storing and dispensing of drugs and medicines. These officers combine knowledge of chemistry and the human body to prepare medical compounds. They may also counsel patients about the proper use of medications and potential side effects. Officers in this career field generally hold advanced degrees in pharmaceutical studies.
- Manage pharmacy technicians who prepare, label and dispense medicines
- Advise doctors and patients on the proper use and side effects of drugs
- Train medical, nursing and pharmacy staffs on the use of drugs
- Consult on drug and medicine research programs
- Check drug and medicine supplies and reorder when necessary
- Direct pharmacy record keeping
Useful school subjects include science, chemistry and biology. Helpful attributes include:
- Interest in chemical formulas
- Interest in understanding the effects of drugs and medicines
- Interest in work requiring accuracy and attention to detail
A pharmaceutical degree is required for this career field.