Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Avionics TechniciansTransportation, Distribution & Logistics
Avionics technicians usually work indoors, in aircraft hangars, airplanes, and repair shops. They may also work on aircraft parked outdoors.
Average Military Salary
Avionics technicians inspect, service, maintain, troubleshoot, and repair avionics systems that perform communications, navigation, collision avoidance, target acquisition, and automatic flight-control functions. They perform operational tests on aircraft components to determine condition, analyze performance, and isolate malfunctions in the radar, sensors, weapons control, electronic warfare (EW), flight control, and engine control systems. They repair and replace systems and equipment when deficiencies are identified.
All enlisted service members complete basic military training, which includes time spent in a classroom and in the field, and covers tactical and survival skills, physical training, military life and customs, and weapons training. Job training for avionics technicians consists of classroom and on-the-job training, including practice in repairing avionics systems. Training content varies depending on specialty, and may include:
- Electronics and electrical theory
- Inspection and troubleshooting techniques and procedures
- Avionics and electrical system maintenance
- Electrical control and indication functions of all airframe systems
- Common soldering and systems-installation practices
- Operating electrical and electronic test equipment
- Ability to work with tools
- Interest in electronics and electrical equipment
- Interest in solving problems
Related Civilian Careers
- Radio, Cellular and Tower Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Audiovisual Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Aerospace Engineering and Operations Technologists and Technicians
- Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Electrical and Electronics Installers and Repairers, Transportation Equipment
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment
- Avionics Technicians