Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing ClerksBusiness Management & Administration
Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks work in offices on land or aboard ships.
Average Military Salary
Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks perform duties related to budgeting, disbursing, and accounting of government funds.They are responsible for maintaining and supporting all financial management processes, including verification and submission of financial reports, payment for travel and commercial vendors, and auditing of pay transactions.
All enlisted service members complete basic military training, which includes time spent in a classroom and in the field, and covers tactical and survival skills, physical training, military life and customs, and weapons training. Job training for bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks consists of classroom and on-the-job instruction, including practice in accounting techniques. Training content may include:
- Accounting principles and procedures
- Preparation and maintenance of financial reports and budgets
- Statistical analyses to interpret financial data
- Computation of pay and deductions
- Auditing and evaluation procedures
- Budget planning
- Federal accounting systems
- Ability to work with numbers
- Interest in using office machines such as computers, and calculators
- Interest in work requiring accuracy and attention to detail
Related Civilian Careers
- Budget Analysts
- Bookkeeping, Accounting and Auditing Clerks
- Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers
- Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks
- Treasurers and Controllers