Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Cyber Security SpecialistsCybersecurity and Information Technology
Cyber security specialists work in offices or in command and control centers on land or aboard ships.
Average Military Salary
Cyber security specialists are responsible for protecting military networks and the country against cyber attacks from enemy forces. These specialists monitor, analyze, detect, and respond to unauthorized activity in the cyberspace domain. They also perform deliberate actions to strengthen information systems and networks, perform vulnerability assessments, and respond to incidents. Cyber security specialists may focus on a specific type of information system, coordinating with network and system administrators, to ensure the security of Department of Defense information networks.
Like all enlisted personnel, cyber security specialists complete basic military training, which includes time spent in a classroom and in the field, and covers tactical and survival skills, physical training, military life and customs, and weapons training. Cyber security specialists in the Military receive advanced training. Starting with extensive technical preparation in everything from database design to computer networking to communications systems, skills continue to be enhanced through classroom and on-the-job instruction. Training content may include:
- Conducting defensive cyberspace operations
- Conducting offensive cyberspace operations
- Operating automated data processing (ADP) equipment
- Analyzing information and preparing technical products and time sensitive reports
- Developing and maintaining analytical and operational working aids and databases
- Installing and configuring networks
- Caring, maintaining, and using networking software tools/equipment
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to understand and apply math concepts
- Interest in solving problems
- Interest in work requiring accuracy and attention to detail
Related Civilian Careers
- Computer and Information Systems Managers
- Business Continuity Planners