Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
DiversArchitecture & Construction
Divers work under water. However, they plan and prepare for work on land or aboard ships. Because diving is not usually a full-time job, divers often have another job specialty in which they work.
Average Military Salary
They perform such tasks as reconnaissance, demolition, ship repair, search for missing persons, salvage in underwater conditions, or construction. They usually specialize in either scuba diving or deep-sea diving.
All enlisted service members complete basic military training, which includes time spent in a classroom and in the field, and covers tactical and survival skills, physical training, military life and customs, and weapons training. Job training for divers consists of classroom and on-the-job instruction, including practice in diving and repair work. Training content varies depending on specialty and may include:
- Water adaptability
- Air and mixed gas diving
- Use and maintenance of tools and diving equipment
- Underwater welding and cutting
- Use of explosives for underwater demolition
- Recompression chamber operations
- Ship maintenance repair and salvage
- A high degree of self-reliance
- Ability to stay calm under stress
- Interest in underwater diving
Related Civilian Careers
- Lifeguards, Ski Patrol and Other Recreational Protective Service Workers
- Commercial Divers