IT ManagersCybersecurity and Information Technology
IT managers in the military work in offices or at computer sites on military bases or aboard ships.
Average Military Salary
IT managers in the Military are responsible for developing, implementing, and supporting both short- and long-term IT plans. They create and administer IT policies and procedures, and ensure the Military has the software and programs needed to complete its missions efficiently and effectively.
Officers typically enter the Military after they have completed a four-year college degree; enlisted service members can transition to officer positions through a variety of pathways and earn a degree while serving. Job training for IT managers primarily consists of classroom instruction and on-the-job learning in various training environments. Like other officers, they complete a comprehensive training program covering responsibilities, military structure and etiquette, traditions, and leadership development. Job-specific training content may include:
- Fiscal and contract management
- Assessment of computer equipment needs
- Computer systems development and project management
- Good organizational and management skills
- Interest in planning and directing the work of others
- Interest in technical work
Related Civilian Careers
- Computer Hardware Engineers
- Computer and Information Systems Managers
- Management Analysts