Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Medical Laboratory TechniciansHealth Science
Medical laboratory technicians work in medical centers, clinics, and hospitals on land or aboard ships.
Average Military Salary
Medical laboratory technicians perform and/or supervise the application of basic and advanced laboratory procedures such as: collecting, processing and analyzing biological specimens and other substances; performing clinical diagnostic laboratory tests; and, monitoring and reporting results. They conduct these laboratory tests to aid in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease and other medical disorders.
All enlisted service members complete basic military training, which includes time spent in a classroom and in the field, and covers tactical and survival skills, physical training, military life and customs, and weapons training. Medical laboratory technicians in the Military will gain skills through classroom study and on-the-job experience. Job-specific training content may include:
- Medical laboratory procedures
- Study of human parasites and diseases
- Laboratory administration and record keeping
- Ability to follow detailed procedures precisely
- Interest in scientific and technical work
Related Civilian Careers
- Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technicians
- Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists
- Medical Scientists, Except Epidemiologists