Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Obstetricians and GynecologistsHealth Science
Obstetricians and gynecologists work in hospitals and clinics on land and aboard ships.
Average Military Salary
Military physicians and surgeons who specialize in OB/GYN prescribe prenatal and postnatal care, perform deliveries in maternity cases, and treat diseases and injuries of the female reproductive system. These specialists perform surgery when needed, and direct staff in providing preoperative and postoperative care to women.
Officers typically enter the Military after they have completed a four-year college degree; enlisted service members can transition to officer positions through a variety of pathways and earn a degree while serving. Job training for obstetricians and gynecologists primarily consists of on-the-job learning in various training environments. Scholarships for advanced medical training are available in return for an obligated period of military service. Qualifying students benefit through unique training experiences and get to attend certain military short courses designed to develop tactical, technical and operational skills unique to the military environment. Like other officers working in healthcare, they complete a comprehensive training program covering responsibilities, orientation to military structure, healthcare and etiquette, traditions, and leadership development. Job-specific training content may include:
- Team Strategies and Tools to Enhance Performance and Patient Safety/TeamSTEPPS Essentials and Fundamentals
- Mishap Investigation and Prevention
- Operational Aeromedical Problems
- Senior Leadership
- Joint Operations Medical Management
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely
- Desire to help others
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Decision-making and integration skills
- Team player
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Interest in work requiring accuracy and attention to detail
Related Civilian Careers
- Nurse Midwives