Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Ophthalmologists work in hospitals and clinics on land and aboard ships.
Average Military Salary
Ophthalmologists examine, diagnose, and treat diseases, injuries, or abnormalities of the eye. They assess visual and refractive status, measure intraocular pressure, and examine the physical structure of the eye. They prescribe and administer treatments including the use of corrective appliances, and various ocular and systemic medications. They also perform surgery to treat disease and correct visual deficiencies, including laser surgery.
Officers typically enter the Military after they have completed a four-year college degree; enlisted service members can transition to officer positions through a variety of pathways and earn a degree while serving. Job training for ophthalmologists primarily consists of on-the-job learning in various training environments. Scholarships for advanced medical training are available in return for an obligated period of military service. Qualifying students benefit through unique training experiences and get to attend certain military short courses designed to develop tactical, technical and operational skills unique to the military environment. Like other officers working in healthcare, they complete a comprehensive training program covering responsibilities, orientation to military structure, healthcare and etiquette, traditions, and leadership development. Job-specific training content may include:
- Team Strategies and Tools to Enhance Performance and Patient Safety/TeamSTEPPS Essentials and Fundamentals
- Mishap Investigation and Prevention
- Operational Aeromedical Problems
- Senior Leadership
- Joint Operations Medical Management
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely
- Desire to help others
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Decision-making and integration skills
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Interest in work requiring accuracy and attention to detail