Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Paralegals and Legal AssistantsLaw, Public Safety, Corrections & Security
Paralegals and legal assistants work in military law offices and courtrooms.
Average Military Salary
Paralegals and legal assistants in the Military do everything from research and interviews to processing cases and discovery management in order to ensure law and order. Legal assistants and paralegals perform many of the same duties as an attorney but only under the supervision of an attorney.
All enlisted service members complete basic military training, which includes time spent in a classroom and in the field, and covers tactical and survival skills, physical training, military life and customs, and weapons training. Paralegals and legal assistants in the Military will gain skills through classroom study and on-the-job experience. Job-specific training content may include:
- Legal terminology and research techniques
- How to prepare legal documents
- High speed transcription
- Military judicial processes
- How to interview witnesses
- Discovery management
- Ability to keep organized and accurate records
- Ability to listen carefully
- Interest in the law and legal proceedings
Related Civilian Careers
- Legal Secretaries and Administrative Assistants
- Paralegals and Legal Assistants
- Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers