Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Power Plant OperatorsManufacturing
Power plant operators usually work indoors. They are subject to high temperatures and noise.
Average Military Salary
Power plant operators control power-generating plants on land and aboard ships and submarines. They operate boilers, turbines, nuclear reactors, and portable generators. Power plant operators are also responsible for administering, managing, and evaluating shipboard engineering programs.
All enlisted service members complete basic military training, which includes time spent in a classroom and in the field, and covers tactical and survival skills, physical training, military life and customs, and weapons training. Power plant operators in the Military will gain skills through classroom study and on-the-job experience. Job-specific training content may include:
- Operation of pressure boilers
- Operation and maintenance of reactor control systems
- Operation and maintenance of mechanical systems on nuclear powered ships and submarines
- Interest in nuclear power
- Interest in working with large machinery
Related Civilian Careers
- Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers
- Chemical Plant and System Operators
- Operating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators
- Stationary Engineers and Boiler Operators
- Ship Engineers
- Supervisors of Mechanics, Installers and Repairers