Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Preventive Medicine PhysiciansHealth Science
Preventive medicine physicians work in hospitals and clinics on land and aboard ships.
Average Military Salary
Preventive medicine physicians research environmental factors that influence health. They direct health, education, and control measures for preventable disease and injuries. They assess the living and work environment of military members to promote healthy communities. In the Military, these physicians are often experts on the specific conditions that may arise during a soldier’s deployment.
Officers typically enter the Military after they have completed a four-year college degree; enlisted service members can transition to officer positions through a variety of pathways and earn a degree while serving. Job training for preventive medicine physiciansprimarily consists of on-the-job learning in various training environments. Scholarships for advanced medical training are available in return for an obligated period of military service. Qualifying students benefit through unique training experiences and get to attend certain military short courses designed to develop tactical, technical and operational skills unique to the military environment. Like other officers working in healthcare, they complete a comprehensive training program covering responsibilities, orientation to military structure, healthcare and etiquette, traditions, and leadership development. Job-specific training content may include:
- Team Strategies and Tools to Enhance Performance and Patient Safety/TeamSTEPPS Essentials and Fundamentals
- Mishap Investigation and Prevention
- Operational Aeromedical Problems
- Senior Leadership
- Joint Operations Medical Management
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely
- Desire to help others
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Decision-making and integration skills
- Interest in work requiring accuracy and attention to detail
Related Civilian Careers
- Environmental Scientists and Specialists, Including Health
- Medical Scientists, Except Epidemiologists
- Medical and Health Services Managers