Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Space Operations OfficersScience, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
Space operations officers work in offices. Astronauts are required at times to work in a zero gravity environment in training as well as in space flight.
Average Military Salary
Space operations officers manage space flight planning, training, mission control, and other activities involved in launching and recovering spacecraft. They provide consultation and oversight of space systems functions related to operations, development and acquisition, and policy planning. They perform space operations activities including orbital analysis, surveillance, and space warning. They conduct satellite position predictions and perform spacelift operations, including flight control and launch-processing activities.
Officers typically enter the Military after they have completed a four-year college degree; enlisted service members can transition to officer positions through a variety of pathways and earn a degree while serving. Job training for space operations officers primarily consists of on-the-job learning in various training environments. Like other officers, they complete a comprehensive training program covering responsibilities, military structure and etiquette, traditions, and leadership development. Job-specific training content may include:
- Evaluation of space transport systems
- Development of space mission plans
- Methods for conducting space flight training programs
- Development of space flight simulation exercises
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Interest in scientific research
- Interest in space travel
Related Civilian Careers
- Geoscientists, Except Hydrologists and Geographers
- Atmospheric and Space Scientists
- Aerospace Engineering and Operations Technologists and Technicians
- Operations Research Analysts
- Aerospace Engineers
- Cartographers and Photogrammetrists