Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Weapon Repair OfficersIntelligence, Combat and Readiness
Weapon repair and maintenance officers usually work on bases or ships. Due to the need to keep forces supplied with weapons and munitions, weapon repair and maintenance officers may spend time outdoors in all types of weather.
Average Military Salary
Weapon repair and maintenance officers manage the activities and personnel engaged in the maintenance and repair of the Military’s weapons, from small arms to nuclear missiles, and their associated equipment. They oversee inspections, inventory, check-out procedures, and shop operations. These officers must have expert knowledge in the design, operation, and safe shipment and employment of military weapons.
Officers typically enter the Military after they have completed a four-year college degree; enlisted service members can transition to officer positions through a variety of pathways and earn a degree while serving. Job training for weapon repair and maintenance officers primarily consists of classroom instruction and on-the-job learning in various training environments. Like other officers, they complete a comprehensive training program covering responsibilities, military structure and etiquette, traditions, and leadership development. Job-specific training content may include:
- Ordnance transportation, handling, and storage
- Maintenance and repair of weapons systems and ordnance
- Arming/disarming techniques
- Basic electronics/electricity fundamentals
- Hazards and identification of United States and foreign munitions
- Attention to detail
- Good organizational and management skills
- Good diagnostic and problem-solving skills
Related Civilian Careers
- Computer Hardware Engineers
- Mechanical Engineers
- Hazardous Materials Removal Workers
- Electronics Engineers, Except Computer
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Maintenance Workers, Machinery
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General