Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Combat Support OfficersIntelligence, Combat and Readiness
Combat support officers work in a variety of settings. Some work in offices or command and control centers. Others work primarily outdoors in the field during training exercises and actual combat situations. Depending on the service branch and specialty, combat support officers may work in aircraft and aboard ships.
Average Military Salary
Combat support officers command or perform duties that encompass a broad understanding of combat doctrine, policy, procedures, and initiatives, and may possess skills and experience in Special Forces, Civil Affairs, or Psychological Operations. They supervise operations, to include mission planning, mission payload operation, launching, remote piloting, and recovery. They provide battle management from specialized aircraft, ground locations, and ships.
Officers typically enter the Military after they have completed a four-year college degree; enlisted service members can transition to officer positions through a variety of pathways and earn a degree while serving. Like other officers, combat support officers complete a comprehensive training program covering responsibilities, military structure and etiquette, traditions, and leadership development. Additional training consists of classroom and field training under simulated combat situations. Job-specific training content may include:
- Relationships among air, ground, and naval forces
- Capabilities of weapon systems
- Command, control, and communications systems
- Battle tactics and management
- Electronic warfare operations
- Ability to absorb large amounts of data in a short period of time
- Ability to coordinate with others
- Ability to make decisions in stressful situations
- Ability to manage a large staff
Related Civilian Careers
- Logistics Engineers
- Airline Pilots, Copilots and Flight Engineers
- Emergency Management Directors
- Cargo and Freight Agents
- Commercial Pilots