Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Graphic Designers and Desktop PublishersArts, Audio/Video Technology & Communications
Graphic designers and desktop publishers usually work in offices on land or aboard ships.
Average Military Salary
Graphic designers and desktop publishers use their creativity in the areas of production, maintenance, and coordination related to visual products and presentations. They use computer software or manually develop the overall layout and production design for various media such as advertisements, brochures, magazines, and reports.
All enlisted service members complete basic military training, which includes time spent in a classroom and in the field, and covers tactical and survival skills, physical training, military life and customs, and weapons training. Graphic designers and desktop publishers develop skills through classroom and on-the-job instruction, including practice in preparing graphic designs and illustrations. Training content may include:
- Graphics, lettering, drawing, and layout techniques
- Illustration and television graphic techniques
- Theory and use of color
- Use of production equipment
- Creation of original artwork and portfolios
- Development of digital media and print products
- Ability to convert ideas into visual presentations
- Interest in artwork or lettering
- Neatness and an eye for detail
- Understanding of visual communication
Related Civilian Careers
- Special Effects Artists and Animators
- Camera Operators, Television, Video and Film
- Desktop Publishers