Graphic Designers and Desktop PublishersArts, Audio/Video Technology & Communications
Graphic designers and desktop publishers usually work in offices on land or aboard ships.
Average Military Salary
Graphic designers and desktop publishers use their creativity in the areas of production, maintenance, and coordination related to visual products and presentations. They use computer software or manually develop the overall layout and production design for various media such as advertisements, brochures, magazines, and reports.
All enlisted service members complete basic military training, which includes time spent in a classroom and in the field, and covers tactical and survival skills, physical training, military life and customs, and weapons training. Graphic designers and desktop publishers develop skills through classroom and on-the-job instruction, including practice in preparing graphic designs and illustrations. Training content may include:
- Ability to convert ideas into visual presentations
- Interest in artwork or lettering
- Neatness and an eye for detail
- Understanding of visual communication
Related Civilian Careers
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment, Desktop Publishers, Graphic Designers, Multimedia Artists and Animators