Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Average Military Salary
Machinists perform various duties incident to fabrication, repair or modification, and motor transport. They are experienced machine tool operators who use a variety of equipment and devices, such as lathes, drill presses, grinders, and other machine shop equipment.
All enlisted service members complete basic military training, which includes time spent in a classroom and in the field, and covers tactical and survival skills, physical training, military life and customs, and weapons training. Machinists in the Military will gain skills through classroom study and on-the-job experience. Job-specific training content may include:
- Machine types and uses
- Machine setup and operation
- Uses of different metals
- Safety procedures
- Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) machines, Computer Aided Drafting (CAD)
- Ability to apply mathematical formulas
- Interest in making things and finding solutions to mechanical problems
- Preference for working with the hands
Related Civilian Careers
- Inspectors, Testers, Sorters, Samplers and Weighers
- Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
- Maintenance Workers, Machinery