Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Survival Equipment SpecialistsManufacturing
Survival equipment specialists in the Military work in repair shops on land or aboard ships.
Average Military Salary
Survival equipment specialists in the Military inspect, fit, maintain, and repair survival equipment, such as parachutes, aircraft life support equipment, search and rescue equipment, and air-sea rescue equipment, along with survival kits, medical kits, flight clothing, protective wear, night vision equipment, aircrew oxygen systems, liquid oxygen converters, anti-exposure suits, and G-suits.
All enlisted service members complete basic military training, which includes time spent in a classroom and in the field, and covers tactical and survival skills, physical training, military life and customs, and weapons training. Survival equipment specialists in the Military will gain skills through classroom study and on-the-job experience. Length and type of training varies depending upon specialty. Job-specific training topics relate to practice in working with survival equipment, and may include:
- Parachute rigging techniques
- Repair of inflatable rafts and other survival equipment
- Maintenance of oxygen equipment
- Maintenance of air-sea rescue equipment
- Aviation Life Support Equipment (ALSE) fundamentals
- Helicopter rescue swimmer procedures
- Operational fitness training
- Army Parachute Rigger Course
- Ability to do work requiring accuracy and attention to detail
- Interest in working for the safety of others
Related Civilian Careers
- Packers and Packagers, Hand
- Inspectors, Testers, Sorters, Samplers and Weighers
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Supervisors of Mechanics, Installers and Repairers