Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Unmanned Vehicle (UV) Operations SpecialistsIntelligence, Combat and Readiness
Unmanned vehicle operations specialists work under a variety of conditions depending upon the type of vehicle and mission. Some specialists work in control stations or receiving stations on land, while others work aboard ships.
Average Military Salary
Unmanned vehicle operations specialists operate, maintain, and control the Military’s fleet of unmanned vehicles. These vehicles include unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), aerial systems (UAS), ground vehicles (UGV), surface vehicles (USV), and underwater vehicles (UUV). The specialists control these vehicles to perform reconnaissance and surveillance missions. They also operate sensors for target detection, deploy ground and air systems, and perform basic maintenance on systems as needed. Personnel normally specialize by the type of vehicle they operate.
All enlisted service members complete basic military training, which includes time spent in a classroom and in the field, and covers tactical and survival skills, physical training, military life and customs, and weapons training. Unmanned vehicle (UV) operations specialists in the Military will gain skills through classroom study and on-the-job experience. Job training varies depending on the position. Job-specific training content may include:
- Operation of unmanned vehicles
- Basic preventative maintenance
- Unmanned vehicle concepts and capabilities
- Advanced technical and operational training in the aviation field
- Performing intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance simulation missions
- Preparing maps, charts, and intelligence reports
- Analyzing aerial photographs
- Enjoy working with tools
- Knowledge of electronic theory and schematic drawing
- Superior adaptability to three dimensional spatial relationships
Related Civilian Careers
- Airline Pilots, Copilots and Flight Engineers
- Airfield Operations Specialists
- Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Air Traffic Controllers