Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Accountants and AuditorsFinance
Average Military Salary
Accountants and auditors record and manage military financial records subject to audit. They also advise leaders on financial and accounting matters.
Officers typically enter the Military after they have completed a four-year college degree; enlisted service members can transition to officer positions through a variety of pathways and earn a degree while serving. Accountants and auditors may have an education background in accounting. Job training for accountants and auditors primarily consists of on-the-job learning in various training environments. Like other officers, they complete a comprehensive training program covering responsibilities, military structure and etiquette, traditions, and leadership development. Job-specific training content may include:
- Financial management techniques, including budget preparation and review
- Military accounting
- Personnel management and payroll procedures
- Statistical analysis and fiscal planning
- Interest in planning and directing the work of others
- Interest in work requiring accuracy and attention to detail
- Preference for working with numbers and statistics
Related Civilian Careers
- Budget Analysts
- Bookkeeping, Accounting and Auditing Clerks
- Treasurers and Controllers