Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Community Services OfficersHuman Services
They typically work indoors when planning and organizing events or maintaining facilities, or outdoors when conducting recreational activities.
Average Military Salary
Community services officers administer programs and offerings that aim to support and enhance the well-being of service members and their families. They oversee official ceremonial programs and parades, as well as other diverse ceremonial functions and military honors initiatives. They direct the operations of recreational programs and facilities, clubs, and libraries. These officers also supply personal assistance to military personnel and their families during times of crisis, including providing funeral support when casualties occur.
Officers typically enter the Military after they have completed a four-year college degree; enlisted service members can transition to officer positions through a variety of pathways and earn a degree while serving. Like other officers, community services officers complete a comprehensive training program covering responsibilities, military structure and etiquette, traditions, and leadership development. Community services officers gain extensive experience in running programs that benefit military personnel. Formal training, when provided, may include the following topics:
- Contracting (for services and supplies)
- Facility/program operations
- Financial management
- Personnel management
- Event planning
- Interest in physical fitness, athletics, arts and crafts, and other recreational activities
- Ability to plan and organize group and individual events, programs, and activities
- Enjoy helping, teaching, and caring for others
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize the work and activities of others
Related Civilian Careers
- Exercise Trainers and Group Fitness Instructors
- Lifeguards, Ski Patrol and Other Recreational Protective Service Workers
- General and Operations Managers
- Public Relations Specialists