Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
Dietetic Support SpecialistsHospitality & Tourism
Dietetic support specialists normally work in clean, sanitary kitchens and dining facilities. They may sometimes work in refrigerated meat lockers. Sometimes they work outdoors in tents while preparing and serving food under field conditions.
Average Military Salary
Dietetic support specialists perform basic clinical dietetic functions in the dietary management and treatment of patients in nutrition clinics, clinical dietetics branches, health promotion, and wellness clinics. They perform nutritional assessments and screening of individual patients for nutritional risk followed by procuring, storing, preparing, and serving regular and therapeutic diets and nourishment. They establish production controls and standards for quantity and quality of foods. Additionally, they complete administrative tasks related to medical dietary cases such as screening patients, obtaining histories, and recording data.
All enlisted service members complete basic military training, which includes time spent in a classroom and in the field, and covers tactical and survival skills, physical training, military life and customs, and weapons training. Job training for dietetic support specialists consists of classroom and on-the-job instruction, including practice in food preparation. Training content may include:
- Standard and dietetic menu planning
- Food preparation and cooking
- Basic nutrition
- Storage of meats, poultry, and other perishable items
- Dining service operations
- Food and supply ordering
- Assessment of a patients dietary requirements and restrictions
- Food safety and sanitation
- Interest in cooking
- Interest in working with the hands
- Interest in work that helps others
- Interest in work requiring accuracy and attention to detail
Related Civilian Careers
- Cooks, Restaurant
- Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
- Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria