Want to know more? Get up to date with the latest stories about service members and how all six branches make a positive impact every day.
International and Civil Affairs SpecialistsMarketing
International and civil affairs specialists work mainly in offices of U.S. embassies and missions located overseas.
Average Military Salary
International and civil affairs specialists perform various duties incident to the planning, coordination, and conduct of civil-military operations. They support the operation of civil affairs planning and coordination centers. They also perform civil-military assessments of their assigned operational area and coordinate with a wide variety of civilian populations, organizations, and agencies.
All enlisted service members complete basic military training, which includes time spent in a classroom and in the field, and covers tactical and survival skills, physical training, military life and customs, and weapons training. International and civil affairs specialists in the Military will gain skills through classroom study and on-the-job experience. Job-specific training content may include:
- Foreign language training
- International or regional awareness training
- Negotiation skills
- Intensive language immersion
- In-country training
- Interest in living and working in a foreign country
- Interest in working closely with people
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely
Related Civilian Careers
- Interpreters and Translators
- Public Relations Specialists
- Business Continuity Planners