Mortuary Affairs SpecialistsHuman Services
Mortuary affairs specialists work indoors when performing adminsitrative tasks related to burials, and outdoors when recovering remains and conducting funeral services.
Mortuary affairs specialists are there for personnel and their families during times of grief and sadness. They work in both combat and noncombat situations to search for, and identify, deceased personnel. They help with the inventory and safeguarding of personal effects, and provide internment. These specialists also assist the next of kin and provide funeral services.
All enlisted service members complete basic military training, which includes time spent in a classroom and in the field, and covers tactical and survival skills, physical training, military life and customs, and weapons training. Mortuary affairs specialists in the Military will gain skills through classes and on-the-job experience. Training topics may include:
- Contracting (for services and supplies)
- Facility/program operations
- Cash handling
- Event planning
- Remains preparation, preservation and shipment
- Solid code of ethics
- Listening and communication skills
- Knowledge of customs and traditions
- Enjoy helping, teaching, and caring for others
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
Related Civilian Careers